This is the last week of National Nutrition Month® and I am ending my series of blog posts on the color your plate theme with a colorful chopped Greek salad from Health magazine. Get the recipe here.
- Romaine: good source of vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, manganese, and chromium
- Cucumber: good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, fiber, magnesium, and potassium
- Mint: good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B12, folic acid, riboflavin, manganese, copper, potassium, iron, calcium, zinc, phosphorous, fluoride and selenium
- Yellow peppers: good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin B6 and potassium
- Tomatoes: good source of lycopene, vitamin C, vitamin A
- Chick peas: good source of fiber, folic acid, manganese, protein, iron, copper, zinc and magnesium
- The dressing contained lemon juice, honey, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper-all have great nutritional benefits too!
As you can see this salad is a nutritional powerhouse.
I made my pita chips with mini whole wheat pitas and delicious garlic gold nuggets. I love garlic and these garlic gold nuggets are out of this world you can use them as a topping to popcorn, veggies, pizza, bread and just about anything else you wasn’t to add garlicky flavor to, so make sure you check out their website.
I sprayed the cut up whole wheat pitas with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkled the garlic gold nuggets on top and toasted them. They came out perfect and delicious, a great addition to the salad.
Chris and Abby loved the salad and pits chips, she was upset I disturbed her eating to take a picture. This was a light, refreshing, delicious dinner packed with color and nutrition. A great start to the week!!
I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Today marks the halfway point in my half-marathon training-5 weeks to go! Check out my blog later in the week for a Bondi Band review and giveaway!!