National Nutrition Month may be over but hopefully we have gained some knowledge on coloring our plates to add nutrition and variety to our meals. Tonight’s recipe is a healthy take on what I consider a classic Italian dish, it probably could use a little more color but it still packs a nutritional punch.
- 1 head of broccoli rabe, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. whole wheat Orecchiette
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white cooking wine
- 16 oz. turkey sausage, hot or sweet, casings removed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- crushed red pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese to taste
- Garlic Gold Parmesan nuggets to taste
First blanch the broccoli rabe (this helps cut down on it’s bitter taste) in salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes, just until it turns bright green.
Then immediately put the broccoli rabe in an ice bath to stop the cooking, once cool drain.
Meanwhile bring salted water to boil and add orecchiette, cook until al dente about 10 minutes.
Heat 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil over med heat in large non-stick pan. Add in turkey sausage and garlic, sauté and crumble sausage until browned and cooked through.
Then add in 2 tbsp. of white wine and broccoli rabe, sauté for about 5 minutes.
Then add in cannellini beans, red pepper and a little parmesan cheese.
Cook until heated through.
Add in pasta and serve.
I use a little of each on my pasta.
The meal was delicious!!! It came out perfect!! The whole family enjoyed it!! You should definitely give it a try!!