As many of you might know already from my Facebook page I am out of commission for at least 2 weeks thanks to my left shin. I ran 11 miles this week, without pain, but on Friday morning I woke up with pain….I am not a happy camper. This sucks!
January was to be the beginning of my training for the NYC 1/2, for me to reach my goal of 1:45…..reality has set in that is just not going to happen. 1 week into training I am injured, 3 weeks in I am out of commission. I hate my shins…..and my flat feet…..and my severe overpronation…all of which have contributed to this pain I am feeling now.
I am determined to beat these shin splints!!! I have decided that the NYC 1/2 will be just another race…no time goal…I have tried for 3 years to get into this race so even if I have to walk some of it I plan to finish. The rest of the year is now up in the air, the only real goal I have is that in November I WILL run a marathon!!! This is the year of the marathon…even if it ends up taking me 5 hours…I will run a marathon.
Here is my game plan:
- Pretend I am a beginner that has never run before: I am going to restart my running in 2 weeks like I have never run before…slow and steady wins the race…right??!!
- R.I.C.E.: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. I plan to do all of the above when necessary!
- Stretching: I plan to stretch…a lot!!!! I feel many of my injuries occur due to lack of stretching. I know there are differing opinions on stretching vs. not stretching, but for me, stretching is the way to go.
- Foam Rolling: Foam rolling helps to achieve a deep tissue massage that helps to alleviate muscle tightness. I have seen improvement since foam rolling so I plan to add this into my daily routine.
- Cross training: Low impact cross-training. I am currently a patron of Planet Fitness but I am looking for a gym that has classes like spinning for the same $10 a month or for my super wonderful husband Chris to buy me a spinning bike…(hint, hint.)
- Lose 10 pounds: I have gained 10 punds since starting full-time as a home care nurse in August which I planned to take off in January…but that just didn’t happen because I was depressed about not vein able to run. I plan to actually lose this 10 lbs in February by writing down everything I am eating and logging all my calories.