This morning the weather looked gloomy and rain was predicted for the whole day so I was faced with the prospect of running in the rain or running on the dreadmill at Planet Fitness. Neither option left me sprinting to the door to get my run on so naturally I did what everyone does when they don’t know what to do………I tweeted my options and requested feedback.
Every reply I got to this tweet said to run in the rain!!! This particular reply really got me thinking:
I never really thought about the fact that if and when I do decide to run in the rain I would really need a backup pair of sneakers because the ones I wore would probably need a few days to dry. Thanks Krissy for the good advice!!
With the prospect of running in the rain looming all day I thought about what would absolutely keep me from running in the rain and I came up with this list:
- Temperature: It must be over 50 degrees. While the prospect of running in the rain is not particularly appealing to me I am willing to do it as long as it is above 50 degrees, anything below that would just be way too cold! Running in the cold rain is definitely out!
- Light to Moderate rain only: Light to moderate rain is okay but running in torrential downpours is definitely out mostly because I think it would be potentially dangerous. One reason is that when it rains that hard visibility is reduced and drivers will be unable to see you running, plus when it rains hard on Long Island everyone seems to forget how to drive safely. The second reason is that I am bound to slip and fall or step in a deep puddle which would just make the rest of my run very uncomfortable.
- No Thunderstorms or Lightening: Checking the forecast right before going out is a must because running in a thunderstorm with the possibility of lightening is just not smart. I absolutely do not want to get struck by lightening, hit by hail or hit by falling branches or trees.
- Do you run in the rain and what would absolutely stop you from doing so??
- Have you ever participated in a run streak?