Week 4 of marathon training was great!!! I feel great and I am looking forward to next week!!! There is a 13 mile long run on the schedule for next next week which makes me nervous because long runs always make me nervous but I know I am prepared to run that distance so nerves aside I am ready!!!
In addition to marathon training I also began Tina Reale’s Best Body Bootcamp to insert some much needed cross training into my schedule. I am following the strength portions of her program and substituting my marathon training for the cardio portions which has worked out perfectly for me this week!!!
Here is my training breakdown from this week:
- Monday: Best Body Bootcamp workout A-Upper body supersets. This workout kicked my butt, I was dripping in sweat by the end.
- Tuesday: Speed work with the We Are Athletes Racing Team!!! We did drills to start then we did hurdles with sprinting x 20, then we did 4 x 400m and last up was 2 x 300m. The heat was killer but I survived!!!!
- Wednesday: Best Body Bootcamp workout B-lower body supersets. Another killer workout that left me dripping is sweat.
- Thursday: I was supposed to run hills with the We Are Athletes Racing Team but the weather had other plans in mind. I was scheduled to pick up Sarah from Running to keep up with a Toddler at 7:30 and while watching the weather it looked like the storms may not hit until 9 pm which is when we finish running hills but when I checked the radar at 6:45 pm the forecast showed storms hitting at 8:30 pm which is right in the middle of our run. I called Sarah and we decided to head out by 7 pm for a 3 mile run instead which ended up being a good choice because around 8:10 pm the skies opened and the storms unleashed their wrath. While I do not mind running in the rain, thunder and lightening is another story.
- Friday: I ran 30/30 on Friday which is basically alternating running fast (1 mile pace-what you can sustain for 1 mile) and running slow for 3o seconds. I started the run with a 5 minute warm-up then ran 30 seconds fast followed by 30 seconds slow x 20 and then ended with a 5 minute cool-down. All I can say is that this workout was tough especially in 93 degree weather :/ After the run I did the Best Body Botocamp workout C which was a total body superset workout and just like the 2 previous workouts this one was awesome!!!
- Saturday: Rest Day with a leisurely 1.5 mile bike ride with Chris.
- Sunday: Long run with some of the We Are Athletes Racing Team! The schedule called for 8 miles at race pace but some did 10 and 12. I stuck with the 8 and basically ran with Pam for the entire time. Race pace for me is 10:00 minute miles and I average 10:15 but I need to work on being more consistent with my time from mile to mile. It felt harder than last week’s 11.3 mile run but overall it was a good run. I love running with groups because it makes the long runs so much easier!! Later in the day I did a 2 mile bike ride with Chris and Abby.
- Total miles: 17.3 miles