Disclosure: This post is sponsored by NWNA on behalf of Poland Spring.
Marathon training is no joke and staying adequately hydrated is one of the most important aspects of the training. Before I started training for the marathon I would basically drink when I was thirsty, which amounted to about half the amount I fluid I should have been drinking on a daily basis. I quickly discovered that this strategy just wouldn’t cut it when I started training for the marathon because it absolutely impacted my performance during long runs. I would start my long run out slightly dehydrated, get thirsty within 15 minutes and end up trying to make up for the dehydration by drinking larger amounts of water during my runs which just ended up leaving me nauseous.
Through trial and error, the marathon rookie that I am discovered that while logging mileage and testing out fueling strategies are definitely top priorities when training, it is also important for peak performance that you stay hydrated and test out different strategies for hydrating during the long runs.
Here are my five tips for hydrating during marathon training:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Cliché, I know, but staying hydrated throughout the day will
- Drink 16 oz water one hour prior to a long run and then drink 6-8 oz. of water every 20 minutes during your long run.
- Create a hydration strategy for training. I personally do better taking in a little bit of fluid at a time rather than large amounts. I have been using my Camelbak during my long runs and hydrating in this manner has worked out great, but for the actual marathon I don’t have the option of bringing my Camelbak so I will be stopping at every water station and drinking a small amount of fluid.
- Avoid alcohol for two days prior to long runs. Alcohol is dehydrating and I have found that cutting it out two days prior to any ling run helps my performance and hydration status.
- Drink at least 16 oz. of water after the long run to replace the fluid you have lost.
Thanks to marathon training I am always adequately hydrated!!! I even have a case of Poland Spring in my trunk right now! I keep it there so that I am never without a way to hydrate, even when I am on the go!
What are your tips for hydrating during marathon training?
I love Poland Spring and was thrilled to hear that they are the official bottled water of the NYC Marathon. This year Poland Spring® Brand 100% Natural Spring Water is providing runners with a unique opportunity to give thanks and toast the family and friends who supported their journey to the marathon with their “Poland Spring Cheers” campaign.
I created my “Poland Spring Cheers” at home and shared it on my YouTube channel, you can view it below:
If you are running the marathon you can shoot you video at booths located at the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Fitness Expo being held Thursday, October 30 through Saturday, November 1. If you can’t make it to one of the booths, you can still participate by creating your own video and sharing it on social media using #PolandSpringCheers. This is a great way to give thanks to everyone that supported your efforts in getting to the NYC Marathon.
This journey for me has been a long road and I personally could not have done it without all the support from my family, friends and other marathoners! A big “Poland Spring Cheers” from me to you!