So I will be running a marathon in the fall. I will let you all know which one in a few weeks. This was my first week of training with Jess and I think it went great! I was actually away the latter half of the week, but managed to get all my training run in despite the late nights! Usually when it comes to vacations I go in with the best intentions and end up doing a bunch of half-assed workouts. This time I was determined to get in some quality training runs and have fun. Guess what?? I succeeded at both!
Here is the breakdown (I was on vacation at Long Beach Island from 7/15-7/18):
- Monday 7/13/15: Hill Repeats, 3.5 miles.
- Tuesday 7/14/15: Easy Run, 4 miles, plus core work. I actually wanted to postpone this run because I got called into work from 10:30 pm to 3:00 am. I decided to push through and run anyway.
- Wednesday 7/15/15: Rest
- Thursday 7/16/15: Easy Run, 3.1 miles, plus strength. This run was actually far from easy. Since we were at the beach my husband and I decided to run along the shore, barefoot. Well, the first 1.5 miles we were fighting a 30 mph headwind and the entire way we were running on lopsided sand. My effort level was supposed to be a 5 and it was more like and 8-10. The only plus was that it was a beautiful way to start the day and I finally managed to get a good jumping picture.
- Friday 7/17/15: Pick-ups, 5.5 miles. After my “failed” easy run on the beach I was not looking forward to this workout, but as it turned out a fellow blogger and runner friend, Jen from Mom’s Gotta Run, was also in LBI. We were able to connect and run together. Since she had no real plans we did my training run. I am thankful to have had the company because there was no way I was getting through that run without her.
- Saturday 7/18/15: Strength. I did Jess’s 15 Minute Equipment-Free Strength Workout for Runners.
- Sunday 7/19/15: Long run, 6.2 miles, plus core. This run was super difficult. Not only was is hot and humid, my calves were on fire from the moment I started running. I know that this was a result of DOMS from Thursday’s beach run. I managed to run the whole six miles very slowly.
- Total miles: 22.3 miles
This was a great week of workouts and training runs. I felt amazingly strong. This week I do want to focus a little more on my nutrition, my greatest challenge. I still have a hard time with my diet because I just want to eat whatever I want and I know this affects my performance. I know that if I can improve my diet I can improve my performance.
How was your week?? What is your greatest challenge when training for an event?