Marathon training is rough. It is mentally difficult and physically exhausting, but despite these factors it is so rewarding. Some weeks are great and some weeks suck. This week started out great and ended sucky. I am not positive that my body is cut out for marathon training and I am not totally sure I will do it again after this time. I am sure that I am going to make to NYC this year no matter what!!!!!!
- Monday 8/1/16: Yoga.
- Tuesday 8/2/16: Kickboxing class at 9 rounds plus extra afterward which included 80 box jumps. Now when I haven’t done box jumps in a long time, which I haven’t, they scare me, but once I got started I was good. Great workout and pretty sure I am going to join.
Such a great workout today at 9Round! 30 minutes of pure sweat plus more after! I even conquered my ongoing fear of box jumps and I got to punch things, which releases a lot of stress! Pretty sure I found my new gym today!!! #crosstraining #nycmarathon #tcsnycmarathon #marathontraining #9round #kickboxing
- Wednesday 8/3/16: Easy run, 3.01 miles, 38:02, 12:38 min/mile avg. pace; Yoga. I like to run early, but only with a friend. All the horrible things that have been happening this week to runners is a wake up call to make sure you stay as safe as possible when you are running.
- Thursday 8/4/16: Hill workout: 2 mile warm up, 0.25 mile uphill at effort 7 alt with 0.25 mile downhill at effort 4 x 8, 1 mile cool down, 6.01 miles, 1:29:15; Yoga.
6 miles with 8 hill repeats this am! It definitely hurt, but now I feel awesome!! I know each and every training run gets me closer to my goal- @nycmarathon …. …. #racepacerunner #teamasics #teamasicsnycm #running #runchat #fitfluential #sweatpink #fitapproach #ffcheckin #run #tattooedrunner #tattoedrunnerchic #werunsocial #runners #training #tcsnycmarathon #marathontraining #nycmarathon #hills #garmin #garminrunning #lilytrotters #compression #womensrunningcommmunity #runnersofinstagram #runningcommunity #WHStrong
A photo posted by Toni (@runninglovingliving) on
- Friday 8/5/16: Yoga.
- Saturday 8/6/16: Easy run, 3 miles, 33:11, 11:03 min/mile avg. pace.
- Sunday 8/7/16: Long run, 7.58 miles, 1:55:22, 15:13 min/mile avg. pace. 12 miles was planned but my back just was not having it. I have had a chronic back issue for the past 20 years and I knew on Thursday it was going to be a problem. I actually tried to go to my chiropractor, unfortunately he closes on Thursdays during the summer. I woke up in pain and figured I would attempt my long run. I told Allison right away that I may not make the whole 12 miles and she was fine with it. Four miles in I was done so we turned around. On the bright side, it started pouring a quarter of a mile from the end and when I say pouring I mean Florida monsooning. On the downside, I only complete 7.58 miles. On the bright side, there is still many weeks until the marathon and I knew i had to listen to my body to avoid a severe injury. Plus, I saved a whole bunch of snails from being crushed by bicyclists and other runners. I picked them up and moved them all to safety.
12 miles turned into 7.5 due to me throwing out my back. Rather than risking not injury we cut our run short and walked most of the last 2 miles. Worked out because while it was raining it starting pouring about 1/4 mile out from the car. If we were doing 12, 5 of those miles would have been in a monsoon! On another note the path was covered with all these little snails that I felt compelled to save by placing them in the grass before a biker squished them. #floridarunning #florida #floridalife #womensrunningcommmunity #runnersofinstagram #runningcommunity #WHStrong #racepacerunner #teamasics #teamasicsnycm #running #runchat #fitfluential #sweatpink #fitapproach #ffcheckin #run #tattooedrunner #tattoedrunnerchic #werunsocial #runners #training #tcsnycmarathon #marathontraining #nycmarathon #hills #garmin #garminrunning #lilytrotters #compression
- Miles: 19.6 miles
- Total Miles: 88.7 miles
I would say it was a great week until my back gave out. This is a chronic issue for me and it is nothing a few trips to the chiropractor won’t resolve, but it is still frustrating that it cut my long run short. I did the right thing by not continuing and my friend Allison was a big help and pushing me not to go on, which is not always the easiest decision.
I went to the chiropractor on Monday and again today and I am 90% better. I will run tomorrow and hopefully my back will hold up, but if it doesn’t I have an appointment at 5:45 tomorrow. I love my chiropractor!!! I am not the best patient and he helps me anyway!!!!!
How was your week?