This 8 week training plan for the Key West Half Marathon was created by me with the intention of getting my friend Arleen to a PR. Our goal is a 2:15 half, but anything under 2:30 will do. This is an abbreviated plan due to the fact that we were both training for races prior to this one. I was training for the NYC Marathon and Arleen was training for the Diva’s Puerto Rico Half. This is the only reason why I even considered trying to achieve a speedy race in only eight weeks. Normally I would recommend at least a 12 week training plan.
Week One Recap:
- Monday 11/21/16: Yoga. I stick to YouTube yoga videos, Yoga with Adriene is my favorite. I love that you can choose a video based on time and focus.
- Tuesday 11/22/16: 30/30 Run: 15 minute warm-up, 30 seconds fast alternating with 30 seconds slow x 15 minutes, 15 minute cool-down. This was a great run and it ended up being 4.6 miles. We had a little trouble with the intervals on my watch, but once we got a tabata app downloaded we were back on track.
- Wednesday 11/23/16: Strength Training Upper Body; I combined yoga with strength and did an upper body focused yoga video from YouTube.
- Thursday 11/24/16: Wiregrass Wobble 5K. What is Thanksgiving without a Turkey Trot? It was fun to meet all my friends for this fun 5K. Chris and I warmed up by running to the race from our house, 1.5 miles. Arleen and I were using this as a speed workout with the goal of finishing in under 30 minutes, and we did it! Full recap to come.
Turkey Trot 2016! Great runs all around! I achieved my two goals! First was to run in under 30 minutes-officially 28:14! Second was to beat my husband, which I also did!!! I think this may be a new thanksgiving tradition! #wiregrasswobble2016 #running #runnerfriends #werunsocial #garminrunning #turkeytrot #wiregrasswobble
- Friday 11/25/16: Easy 3 miles; yoga; Ran an easy 3 miles at around six o’clock at night with the husband. I was going to hold off until Saturday, but since he was running I figured why not….
- Saturday 11/26/16: Strength Lower Body; I used another yoga video that focused on lower body for this workout.
- Sunday 11/27/16: Long Run; 6.27 miles, 1:12:39, avg, pace 11:35.
- Miles: 18.47
- Total Training Miles: 18.47
Overall a great week! I am really looking forward to this week because we have a track workout planned! I haven’t done a track workout in a long time and I am ready to do them again, even if it means I am the coach! I used to belong to a racing team back on Long Island, but haven’t found one here in Florida, so I may start my own! Lets see how our little group does first.
Have you ever trained for a half marathon in 8 weeks?