This past week was a rough one. Irma caused catastrophic damage to many areas including Florida. Thankfully, Tampa Bay was spared, but many areas were not. It was a stressful week to say the least and at the last minute we ended up evacuating to Orlando when predictions said Irma may hit Tampa as a cat 3 or 4. Luckily, Irma turned and she was only a cat 1 when it hit Tampa. Other areas in Florida were not so lucky and it breaks my heart to see the devastation. This week taught that in the end evacuating was the right thing to do even though it turned out that we didn’t need to in the end. Things can be replaced, lives cannot.
This week I am thankful for the ability to run and exercise, it definitely helped with stress relief. I am also thankful for the friends I have made as a result. Starting and ending this hurricane week with friends made it so much easier to handle.
- Monday 9/4/17: Cycling, 6.2 miles; Emily Skye HIIT Circuit
- Tuesday 9/5/17: Body Back; Running, 3.1 miles, avg. pace 8:01. After work I had Chris drop me off at Cry-X (full body cryotherapy) so I could get “frozen” and then run home. Supposedly, it is supposed to boost your performance, so of course I had to give it a try.
I know could definitely have done better in that first mile if I had pushed a little harder. As you can see below, my best pace was 6:23. Next time I am going to warm up for a mile and then run my hardest and then cool down. I know I can get an under 7 minute pace for one mile. This definitely felt easier after the cryotherapy.
- Wednesday 9/6/17: Kickboxing; Emily Skye Upper Body.
- Thursday 9/7/17: Body Back stair workout with 3 miles of running. There was actually no Body Back this morning, but Cheryl, Allison and I decided to meet up anyway. We went to the wiregrass mall and did a Tabata/Stair Running workout. I followed that up with an additional 1.7 miles to equal 3 for the day.
- Friday 9/8/17: Kickboxing; Easy Run, 6 miles, avg. pace 8:40. I went to kickboxing at 5 am and then came home and ran 6 miles. The lights on my waist were supposed to clasp to the back of my sneakers, but the annoyed me there, so I just hung them on my belt instead.
- Saturday 9/9/17: Long run, 12 miles, avg. pace 9:17; Tabata Workout with 1.55 miles, avg. pace 9:04; Cycling, 3.75 miles.
The answer is of course! Allison and I met up with some of the MRTT Tampa ladies at 5 am for our long run. Running for the lot of us means stress relief and the impending hurricane definitely warranted a stress relieving long run.
Sarah and I run about the same pace, she is definitely slightly faster, but we ran 12 of the miles together.
After the long run Allison and I headed to wiregrass to meet our Body Back friend Cheryl for a Tabata/Running workout.
- Sunday 9/10/17: Emily Skye Lower Body. Chris and I were up early Sunday morning. Irma’s approach was definitely nerve wracking, so westarted the day with a workout.
By 10 am we decided to head to Orlando. The forecast was for Irma to hit Tampa as a Cat 3 or possibly even a 4, so we decided it was best to head East. Pretty sure we got the last hotel room in Orlando.
- Miles: 25.61 miles
- Total Miles: 155.05 miles
Overall it was a good week for running, but Irma took her toll both physically and mentally. I am grateful Tampa was spared and my hear is heavy that so many other areas weren’t, but I am glad that most people did evacuate to safety. I pray for all the people affected by Irma, it is going to be a long road for many.
How was your week? Did Irma affect you?