The Food pyramid is officially out and has been replaced by this:
I love it!! I didn’t like the last update to the food pyramid, I found it confusing and I am positive that many other people did too. I think the plate is much more visually appealing, it gives people a visual idea not only of the food groups they should be eating but the portion sizes too. The plate is intended to help people make better decisions at meal time by including each these food groups divided up proportionally onto their plate.
Following these guidelines will help people make healthier decisions. By focusing on eating whole grains, a variety of vegetables, fruits, low-fat dairy and lean protein 90% of the time people can easily make their diets healthier. In addition adding good fats will help the body absorb vitamins and keep you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. The other 10% of the time can be left for indulgences like sweets and alcohol (1 glass for women, 2 for men as long as you are over 21).
I don’t think this will solve the obesity epidemic in America, but it is definitely a good start. Check out the Choose My Plate website for some great tools and tips on healthy eating.
What do you think of the new Plate instead of the Pyramid?