This past Saturday was my 35th birthday :/ I was looking forward to this birthday, as I plan to make this my best year yet, unfortunately illness struck and knocked me down.
The day started out great with a visit from my best friend, who I haven’t seen in forever, but best friends can pick up right where they left off and that is exactly what we did!!!! We started out at IHOP for breakfast, this is where I knew something was starting as my appetite was definitely decreased. We finished breakfast and headed to Barnes and Nobles, one of my favorite stores, and browsed for about 45 minutes. I ended up leaving with a few magazines and a coloring book for Abby.
Already starting to feel tired, I debated whether bowling was a good idea, but darn it, it was my birthday and I wanted to have a little fun. We picked up Angelica and the 5 of us (me, Jen, Jen’s daughter (11), Abby (4) and Angelica (15) headed to AMF which happens to be two minuted from my house.
We decided to play two games, which would take about an hour and half. Now, you do need to know I am not a good bowler and I do not like to lose. The first game was great!! I actually bowled a 126, I thought I was going to win until Jen decided to get 3 strikes in a row during the 9th and 10th frame, beating me by 1 point. The second game was not quite as good, I only bowled a 91, but I won!!!!
By the time bowling ended I was feeling tired and achy, so we headed back to my house and just hung out, catching up on the last few years. Jen left around 4:30 and at that point I knew I was really sick.
By 9pm I was running a 103 fever and I felt like I was hit by a truck, my body just ached. My highest temp reached 104.7 last night and I am still running a 101 today. I am probably looking at this flu, or something similar. I am headed to the doctor this am for confirmation and hopefully some medication.
The Flu has hit hard this year and Governor Cuomo has declared a Flu emergency in NY. The Flu shot itself is said the be 64% effective in fighting the Flu this year, but that still leaves 36% of people vaccinated still getting the Flu.
What can you do to prevent getting the Flu?
- Get vaccinated!!! It can not only prevent the Flu, but lessen the effects if you actually get it. I actually was vaccinated, but unfortunately I must have fell into that 36%.
- Wash Your Hands Frequently!! When I am not able to wash my hands I use alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid close contact with people that are ill.
- If you are sick stay home!!! The CDC recommends that you stay home at least 24 hours after your fever is gone (without using Tylenol or Advil), except to get medical attention. Nobody wants to call in sick, but it is irresponsible to spread your germs to your co-workers or anyone else.
These are just some tips to keep you healthy this Flu season, check out the CDC’s website for all their tips!!!!
I plan to head to the doctor today, get medication, rest and get back up on my feet by Wednesday…….I am hoping this illness cooperates with my plan.
I will be working on staying healthy and boosting my immunity after I recover!!!
Have you been sidelined by the Flu or another illness this season?? How did you recover??