Three months remain until the NYC Marathon and I am beyond excited! Week 14 was okay, the workouts were tough, especially the 10 miler, but the marathon is going to be tough too, so I just sucked it up and pushed through! I read an interesting article on Competitor.com, “Are You Overemphasizing The Marathon Long Run?”. This article has made me reconsider any long run over three hours and it is not the article alone, I have heard from many coaches that there is no benefit to a long run over three hours. Running for longer than three hours puts a lot of stress on your body and increases your risk of becoming injured, which is the last thing I want to have happen.
So my question is for all you marathoners out there, what do you think of the long training run? Do you run longer than three hours for training or do you forego the long training run for short intense runs?
Now on to my training from last week:
- Monday 7/28/14: Workout: none; Steps: 10893; Activity Goal: 81%
- Tuesday 7/29/14: Workout: none; Steps: 10010; Activity Goal: 77%
- Wednesday 7/30/14: Workout: Track repeats, 4.5 miles; Steps: 19607; Activity Goal: 226%
Track repeat workout: 1200 (Goal time: 6:25, Actual: 5:52), 1000 (Goal time: 5:18, Actual: 5:11), 800 (Goal time: 4:13, Actual: 4:06), 600 (Goal time: 3:09, Actual: 2:58), 400 (Goal time: 2:04, Actual: 1:58), 200 RI; 0.75 mile warm-up and cool-down
This was a tough workout, but surprisingly, I managed to keep my times below the goals! Good or bad?? Still not sure yet.
- Thursday 7/31/14:Workout: CrossFit including 1.25 mile run; Steps: 9630; Activity Goal: 101%
Friday 8/1/14: Workout: CrossFit with 1.5 miles of running, Running (4 miles: 2miles to Crossfit, 2 miles home), Biking (7miles); Steps: 18072; Activity Goal: 247%
I made it through 4 rounds, plus a 400 m run! I could not climb the rope, but I did get 2/3rd of the way up in practice, which is better than I did last time! My modifications for this workout were 3 rope climb ups from the ground to standing and back to the ground, and ring rows instead of pushups.
- Saturday 8/2/14: Workout: none; Steps: 10478; Activity Goal: 79%
- Sunday 8/3/14: Workout: Long Run; Steps: 26592; Activity Goal: 386%
My goal pace for this run was MP plus 45 seconds, MP=10:20, +45 seconds=11:05, I was pretty close at 11:07!!! This was a really tough run both mentally and physically. I woke up sore from the previous days workouts and honestly, did not want to run, so mentally I was defeated before I started. I had many opportunities to cut this run short, but instead I pushed through and finished strong!!!!
Total miles: 23.25 miles
- Another week down!!! Yesterday I started a nutrition challenge with my CrossFit and the first week we are cutting out all added sugar and processed food, which in all reality leaves only real, whole food to eat. I am logging my intake on My Fitness Pal, so if you are also on My Fitness Pal be sure and friend me, I could use all the support I can get! My username is tonee78.
How was your week?