Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Fitapproach & Vitamin Pit Stop, all opinions are 100% my own.
Sleep is extremely important to our overall health and well being. According to The Harvard Women’s Health Watch lack of sleep can contribute to a myriad of health problems that include a decrease in immune function, weight gain, and high blood pressure. Below are five good reasons why you need to get at least 7-9 hours of sleep a night:
- Weight Maintenance: Lack of sleep can alter the level of hormones in our body that affect our appetite which causes overeating. In addition your body repairs itself during sleep and without an adequate amount of sleep, your muscles can’t grow and repair themselves.
- Mood: Lack of sleep can cause mood swings, impatience, irritability, and decreased levels of concentration. I can personally attest to the fact that less sleep equals less patience.
- Disease prevention: Poor sleep contributes to increased inflammation in the body which has been linked to diseases like high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, obesity and cancer.
- Safety: Lack of sleep can lead to decreased reaction times which can contribute to deadly accidents if you have to drive or operate any type machinery while exhausted.
- Memory: Sleep has been shown to improve memory and cognitive function because it gives the brain time to process and store information.’
Now that you know why sleep is important I am going to share five tips on how to sleep better:
Workout: Regular exercise will aid in helping you sleep better, but be sure to avoid high intensity exercise a few hours before bedtime or else you will likely have difficulty sleeping.
Turn off all electronics: The glow plus the distraction of the electronics can interfere with your sleep.
Lower the temperature: According to WebMD(1) the ideal temperature for sleep is between 68-72 degrees.
Avoid afternoon caffeine: Whether you believe it or not, afternoon caffeine will interfere with you getting a good sleep.
Drink alcohol in moderation: Regularly ending your day with a drink has been shown to interfere with sleep. According to a paper written for the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, people who drank alcohol prior to sleep had both delta and alpha waves occurring in their brains which is indicative of a disrupted sleep pattern.
These tips work great on most nights, but on the nights when I am so wound up that I know my sleep is going to suffer I turn to Vitamin Pit Stop’s USANA Pure Rest.
I am so excited to try out Vitamin Pit Stop’s USANA Pure Rest because I struggle with sleep. My average sleep is 6-7 hours a night, which would be great if I wasn’t restless for an average of 30 minutes a night. I am hoping this supplement will help nip that I to bud and let me sleep better!!! @vitaminpitstop #ichoosevitamins #sweatpink @fitapproach #ad #sleep #purerest #runninglovingliving
Vitamin Pit Stop is proud to sell and distribute USANA Health Sciences which is considered the gold standard for nutritional supplements. health products. Vitamin Pit Stop offers the lowest prices available online and does not require any monthly commitment or sign up fees to purchase from them! So be sure to check out their website for the full line of USANA products! Thanks to Vitamin Pit Stop I have been trying out USANA Pure Rest for about a month now and it works great!! While I do not take it every night, I do take it a few times a week and it definitely helps me get a more restful sleep. Description of USANA Pure Rest from the Vitamin Pit Stop website: Pure Rest is USANA’s fast-acting, ultra-pure melatonin supplement. Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that regulates sleep and wake cycles. Pure Rest is NOT a sleeping pill. Pure Rest’s orange-flavored tablets are designed to dissolve quickly, and their ultra-pure formula is both safe and effective. Pure Rest does not contain animal ingredients and is not habit forming. Enjoy a healthy sleep with Pure Rest.
Do you want to try it? Head to the form below and enter to win a bottle of your own: