The last two weeks have not been the best in the training department. My legs have not been cooperating during the week and every run except from today’s 18 miler felt pretty lousy. I try not to let it defeat me, but it is hard to let the bad runs go because I mostly think if I can’t run 4 miles, how will I run 26.2? Today’s 18 miler changed that mentality. I went into today’s run knowing that if my legs were shot I was going to bail early (this was discussed with my coach). I also went into today’s run with the confidence that I could do it and you know what?? I felt awesome and I did it and my last two miles were my fastest. NYC here I come!!!!!!!
- Monday 9/12/16: Rest.
- Tuesday 9/13/16: Rest.
- Wednesday 9/14/16: Easy run, 5.04 miles, 1:02:40, 12:26 avg. pace. I used my new RunLites on this run and they were a great help!! It definitely made us feel safer with them lighting the way. I had tried the gloved RunLites awhile back and while I liked them, the gloves made my hands too hot. Now RunLites has a palmless version (the run sling) that they sent me to try out and they are pretty great. My only negative is that I have super small wrists and they are a little loose on me, even at the smallest size. Otherwise they are great and I have been wearing them for all my early morning runs.
- Thursday 9/15/16: Pickups, 4.48 miles, 50:00, 11:09 avg. pace. Workout: Warm-up run 15 minutes, Run 2:00 minutes at an effort level 7 alternating with 2:00 minutes at an effort level 5 x 5, cool-down run 15 minutes. My friend and I did this late in the day, 7 pm to be exact. I am not sure there is ever a good time to run in Florida, but usually before or after sunrise is best. This was an awesome run and we even managed to hit an 8:02 pace for one of the intervals!!!!!!
- Friday 9/16/16: Rest; Fit Foodie Party with a Purpose (recap coming this week).
- Saturday 9/17/16: Fit Foodie 15K, 9.3 miles, 1:38:40, 10:37 avg. pace (recap coming this week).
- Sunday 9/18/16: Fit Foodie Sweat Session (recap coming this week).
- Miles: 18.82 miles
- Total Miles: 210.59 miles
My legs were pretty shot this week and my runs all sucked, but I managed 18 miles today easily which says a lot for my endurance. All the hard work is paying off and I know I am going to rock NYC, or at the very least, finish.
- Monday 9/19/16: Rest.
Tuesday 9/20/16: Easy run, 4 miles, 56:28, 14:06 avg. pace. This was the first sucky run. We just couldn’t keep up a decent pace. My calves were on fire the entire time.
- Wednesday 9/21/16: Rest.
- Thursday 9/22/16: 4.01 miles, 1:00:44, 15:10 avg. pace. This was supposed to be a 6 mile tempo run and ended up being a reverse tempo. My legs were not having it and my friend was just as shot, so we ended running the first and last mile and walking in the middle. Not our best, but at least we were out there. This run really sucked and I could have walked faster, but it is what it is.
- Friday 9/23/16: Rest.
- Saturday 9/24/16: Rest.
- Sunday 9/25/16: Long run, 18 miles, 3:26:15, 11:27 avg. pace. Everything just came together and despite all the bad runs, this one was great!!! I even managed to make my last 2 miles the fastest.
- Miles: 26.01 miles
- Total Miles: 236.6 miles
Overall I would say today’s run made me feel like I will be able to do the NYC marathon!!! It’s funny because I don’t see myself as a particularly good runner at all, but apparently, I am a good motivator for the rest of my running buddies. My strength is not in running, but in my mental capacity to forge forward despite the pain. Now, this can be a double edged sword because that mental strength has gotten me injured in the past. I am not a natural athlete and I am not a natural runner, but I work hard and I push forward despite being uncomfortable because I can. I will never win a race, but I will always try me best which is good enough for me. I run for me and because I love to run!!!!!
How was your week???