I have a couple of pretty big races on my schedule this year starting with the Key West Half Marathon. My training for races last year pretty much did not go as planned. I battled injuries, missed many training runs and even missed a couple of races. This year isn’t starting out much better either. I somehow injured my calf during a long run in the beginning of February and am only just recovering now.
For the rest of the year I plan to as far as training goes I plan to stay half marathon ready while actually cross-training and strength training, to prevent any further injuries form occurring. I don’t have any time goals for this year, although I won’t complain about a new PR. This year is about getting my all around fitness back while getting faster, hopefully.
All my big goals are for 2018. I decided to run Key West again next year instead of the Las Vegas RNR because it is the 20th anniversary and it is the perfect place to PR. My goal is a 1:45 half. I also plan to take a shot at a BQ next year, but I definitely have some work to do for that to happen. I am determined to make these goals happen.
Check out my current schedule:
- March 18, 2017: Savage Race. This is an obstacle course race. I was supposed to do this race with my husband and two other couples. Since I am just bouncing back from an injury it looks like I will just be spectating. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am about a week or two away from running again and I don’t need to get reinjured.
- April 22, 2017: TPA Airport 5K. I ran this race last year by myself and loved it! This year a bunch of us are doing it so it will make it even more fun!
- May 13, 2017: Running For All Children 10K. This one is for an awesome cause and will make a great training run for the Echo Half.
- June 4th: Echo Half Marathon. This one is not definite, but I missed it last year due to a broken toe and it is basically the last half in Florida until fall.
- July 23, 2017: San Francisco Half Marathon. Since we were considering a trip to California to visit my sister-in-law, I figured why not run a race. When I googled races this one popped up!!! I have never been to San Francisco and figured this would be an awesome way to see the city for the first time. I will be running the first half which includes running on the Golden Gate Bridge!!!!
- September 23, 2017: Weeki Wachee Springs Mermaid Race. I actually have been chosen to be an ambassador for this race and will have a discount code for everyone soon!!! It looks like a great race!
- November 2017: Tentative Space Coast Classic 15K or some other 15K.
- December 17, 2017: Mount Dora Half Marathon. Don’t let the Mount part fool you, this is a Florida race and while I am sure there are some hills, there are no Mounts. This race was on sale until 12/31 for $38. It was pretty much a deal we couldn’t pass up.
- January 14. 2018: Key West Half Marathon. This race is my goal race. My goal is to run a 1:45 half. This has been a goal of mine for many years, but I let it slip away. I now have renewed drive and I plan to work my ass off to achieve this goal! Plus, this is my 40th birthday weekend!
- February 4, 2018: Best Damn Race Safety Harbor. This race had a sale that was so good I couldn’t pass it up!! That’s a good reason to run a half a few weeks after Key West, right?
- February 24 & 25 2018 : Gasparilla-The Michelob Ultra Challenge (5K, 8K, 15K 1/2 Marathon). This is a race I have been wanting to do since I moved to Florida and next year is the year!
I know this schedule seems a little crazy, but I am really looking forward to each and every race. December through January is going to be busy!!!!
What race are you most looking forward to this year?