This is the third and last time I am updating this race calendar, with the exception of adding a few smaller races here and there when they pop up. The biggest and scariest change to my schedule is dropping Key West. I really wanted my goal race to be Key West, but it is just not going to work out in 2018, so instead I am running the Naples Half Marathon. Naples is the same day as Key West, it is flat & fast, and will be perfect for my 40th birthday goal.
I turn 40 on January 12, 2018. My dream goal time for a half marathon has always been 1:45. My PR is 1:54:36 from 2011. My goal for the Naples Half is 1:45. If I can achieve this 1:45 then I plan to shoot for a BQ in November 2018 at the Space Coast Marathon or in January 2019 at the Celebration Marathon. In addition I would like to PR in every distance during my 40th year. These are some big goals, but if I don’t tackle them now I probably never will. Forty is going to be my year!!!!!!
2017-2018 Race Schedule
- June 4th: Echo Half Marathon. This one is not definite, but I missed it last year due to a broken toe and it is basically the last half in Florida until fall.
- July 23, 2017: San Francisco Half Marathon. Since we were considering a trip to California to visit my sister-in-law, I figured why not run a race. When I googled races this one popped up!!! I have never been to San Francisco and figured this would be an awesome way to see the city for the first time. I will be running the first half which includes running on the Golden Gate Bridge!!!!
- September 9, 2017: Fit Foodie 5K. I was an ambassador for the Tampa Fit Foodie last year and I loved it! This year they are hosting it in Clearwater and it is only a one day event, rather than three days, but it was super cheap to sign up early and I needed to add a 5K to my race schedule.
- October 29, 2017: Cocoa Beach 1/2 Marathon. Due to a family commitment I was unable to run the inaugural Weeki Mermaid half, so like any normal runner I needed to find another half to run. Cocoa Beach kept popping up in my Facebook news feed and it looked so nice that I decided to sign up. I even convinced my husband to run it, which is something I never thought would happen, pretty sure it will be his first and last half.
- December 17, 2017: Mount Dora Half Marathon. Don’t let the Mount part fool you, this is a Florida race and while I am sure there are some hills, there are no Mounts. This race was on sale until 12/31 for $38. It was pretty much a deal I couldn’t pass up.
- January 14. 2018: Naples Half Marathon. This is my goal race. I turn forty two days prior and I plan to run it in 1:45. I have a couple of friends who are going to run it with me too! It should be lots of fun!
- February 4, 2018: Best Damn Race Safety Harbor. This race had a sale that was so good I couldn’t pass it up!! That’s a good reason to run a half a few weeks after Key West, right?
- February 24 & 25 2018 : Gasparilla-The Michelob Ultra Challenge (5K, 8K, 15K 1/2 Marathon). This is a race I have been wanting to do since I moved to Florida and next year is the year!
This is my most packed race schedule thus far and I am really looking forward to it!!!!!
What upcoming race are you most looking forward to?